Monday, October 7, 2013

My Birthday Party Dress

Dress - Calvin Klein
Sweater - 89th & Madison
Shoes - Nine West

While shopping at a Dress Barn I picked this dress off of the clearance rack.  I searched and searched for other possible sizes, but this was the only one.  I was either going to fit this one, or I would never own this dress.  Jules and I visited the dressing room together and began trying on dresses.  It took me several tries to actually get this dress on correctly, and imagine my surprise when Jules was actually able to zip up the back.  It fit very well actually.

I really like the dress for a variety of reasons.  One is the color.  I really like the colors of it.  I am very partial to black and white, if you haven't noticed.  But it also has that wonderful pop of blue, right in the middle.  For svelte girls like myself, it is in the perfect place to help accentuate my hips, which is fabulous!  A second thing I really like about it is the fit.  It is tight, but not too tight, right above the blue color and right below my bust, which is where it should be tight, right at the smallest part of my torso.  The third thing that is great is that it fits my bust wonderfully.  I actually have really great decolletage in it.  The fourth thing I love about it, is that the bottom portion flares out right where my hips are, which also helps to increase the appearance of my hips.  Just fabu!

But there are two things I don't like about it.  One is that it has no arms.  Here I am without the sweater:

The no arms issue is easily solved with the addition of the sweater.  But it had to be the right sweater.  If it was too long, it would make the slimming effect and the hippy effect disappear.  Luckily I had purchased the short sweater some time back and was waiting to pair it with the perfect outfit.  Like this one!  The only other thing I don't like about the dress is that it requires the right occasion to wear an outfit like this.  It just is not appropriate for say shopping at Costco.  But that was solved when my birthday came and an occasion to wear it presented itself.

Edward and Vivian came over for a little dinner and cake with Jules and I.  Jules is still obviously recovering but she felt well enough to have some friends over.  Our two fabulous friends picked up pizza, to my order specifications, as well as a carrot cake, made especially for me.  It was wonderful having them over and I was super thrilled to have an occasion to wear this awesome dress!  I was only a little self conscious that my bra kept peeking out the top of the dress; oh well, life can't be perfect huh?

How about you all - Will you wear fancy dresses for any occasion?  Or does it need to be a special time?  How about your arms?  Are you self conscious about them?  Are you willing to go without something covering them?  What do you think about mine?  Should I get over my worry about them looking too masculine?

Oh, btw, I turned 42 the other day and two days later it was Jules and mine 17th anniversary of being married, though we have actually been together for 27!

Love ya!

11 comments:

  1. Honey you look beautiful!!! Happy birthday and happy anniversary!!! I am so glad you had fun for your birthday!! I did too. I love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bunny Rex! You are too sweet. :) You too looked beautiful that evening, well ever evening actually!

      Delete
  2. happy belated birthday! you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Beautiful dress! And I think your arms look fine, btw. :c)

    == Cass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cass. I am so self conscious about my arms, it is ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to you and happy anniversary to a wonderful couple.
    I love the dress and it works well with the shoes. I think that the mix of teal with other shade of blue works well with your color. It did not take long for you to find a great match for those killer blue pumps.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I agree about the colors working well with me. I really like it. I am trying to find some female clothes in those colors to mix into my male wardrobe for work! Fun experiment!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday Nadine, and a happy anniversary to you and Jules. The dress and the sweater look works great on you, and I love how the shoes play of the blue in the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I was really unsure if the two different blues would work well together, but I too love how they play off each other.

      Delete
  6. i'm with you on the arms thing. when ever i wear a cami in the summer i feel half dressed. so this summer i noticed a new trend of sweater called shrug or schwral a shell like sweater with short sort of capped sleeves. hence a way to dress up a cami for evening to be a bit more classy.

    ReplyDelete