Friday, November 8, 2013

Outfit for 11/8/13 & Costco Rocks!

 
Top - Converse All-Stars
Tank - Mossimo
Jeans - Guess
Belt - I forget
Shoes - Nine West

Ahh... cooler weather.  The last time I wore these jeans, I was in San Francisco for the day.  I purchased these jeans specifically to be able to wear with flat shoes.  I really like the fit of Guess jeans and I only have one pair, which are super long.  So long that I need to wear a minimum of two inch heels so that they do not drag on the ground.  But these jeans fall just about perfectly for wearing shorter heels or entirely flat shoes.

I wanted to wear something comfortable for my day out as I had a goal for the day - go to Costco and get a picture taken for a new ID card.  I frequently find myself shopping at Costco while dressed as a girl and occasionally I have had a cashier question whether or not I am the person in the picture.  I have never been refused service, but I thought that maybe if I had an ID with a female picture on it that might go over better.

With much trepidation I chose a comfy outfit that I felt confident in and drove myself to Costco.  The entire time the negative nay-saying portion of my mind kept trying to convince me that it was not a good idea.  It knew that something was going to go wrong.  Somehow I would be embarrassed or something would go wrong.  The other half of my brain, the confident, go for it side, kept answering back and saying, nope, I am pretty sure that this will be no big deal.

I got to Costco and went in and walked up to the Member Services counter.  I waited in a small line and when it was my turn I stepped up to the counter and asked the lady if I could have an ID with a different picture and if I could keep my original card as well.  She said "sure," as if I had asked her a for a completely normal request.  She started typing into the computer and I felt she deserved some sort of explanation, even though she did not ask for one in anyway.  I told her "I would like an ID both ID's as sometimes it is confusing for some of your cashiers, depending on which gender I choose to dress as."  She said "Well that is understandable, let's get your picture taken."  I stepped to the appropriate place and she snapped my picture and printed my new card.

Maybe not the best picture, but it is thrilling to me.  That day I shopped at Costco and used my new card when checking out and did not receive a single question.  It was great!  I was so happy that my confident side won out and I asked for what I wanted, because I got it and it was so super easy!

Some updates:
- Jules has started PT and things are going quite well.  She is exercising and slowly but surely gaining back her strength.
- Duck season has started again, so that is something else absorbing my time.  Is there any way we can make it so there is more time somewhere?  I few extra hours in the day, maybe another day added inbetween  Sat and Sun?  Yeah I didn't think so.

Hope you all are well.

Love Ya!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how it would be so nice to have another day in between Saturday and Sunday. Satunday?? :) Anyways, it's always nice to read these stories, which can only help restore ones view of humanity. It's so fitting that there's a wonderful smile on the ID. It's good to hear that Jules is making progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh... I like that Satunday. I don't think it would be that hard or mess up things that much huh?

      You are so right about ones view of humanity. All of these experiences have so changed how I view others. It's so refreshing!

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Great day and another step forward for all of us who would like to get out and about while dressed. You made another friend and the woman who you dealt with at Costco may relate the experience to others who will have their eyes and minds opened a bit.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I enjoy getting out and trying to put a face of normalness and niceness onto who we are. Just trying to do my part, and have some fun!

      Delete