Monday, October 24, 2016

Medical Community Ignorance


Some here may remember in a past post I wrote about being prescribed some medication for my enlarged prostate.  Specifically that drug is called Tamsulosin.  While I have the drug sitting at home, I have yet to try it.  I am a bit concerned about the common side effect of dizziness that people are reporting.  I am an avid duck hunter and I don't need any dizziness while out shooting a shotgun standing in a muddy marsh!!  Ha!

Anywho.... I went to my GP today to follow up on all of my urologist appointments.  I was discussing this drug with the nurse practitioner that I see.  (Which by the way I find a bit odd.  I go to see a doctor and instead they have me see an advanced nurse. Whatever! At least I get to see someone huh?)  I mentioned to her my concerns about taking this drug and I asked about a different one, Finasteride.

I've done a bit of research and found that Finasteride can help with male pattern balding as well as an enlarged prostate.  I found those two uses to be interesting to me for sure!  And low and behold, what did I also see, that it is an anti-androgyne!!  Occasionally it can have the side effect of breast growth!  Umm..... did someone say breast growth!  Yes, breast growth!

While reviewing the medication I suggested the nurse mentioned to me that an occasional side effect is "tissue growth in the chest area."  I told her straight up that I am transgender and some breast growth would not be unwanted.  She finished investigating Finasteride and went and spoke with the actual doctor in the office and came back to my room.  Her recommendation was to stick with the first drug and if I had problems with it, they will then later prescribe Finasteride.

She then said, well in regards to your transgender status.... And I was thinking, yes, what will your question be?  Are you going to ask me if I am interested in transitioning?  Are you going to ask if I am "just" a cross dresser?  Are you going to ask if I really want Finasteride to help me to become more feminine in my appearance?  What, what are you going to ask?

What did she ask?  "Are you monogamous?"  Am I monogamous?  Am I fucking monogamous?  She must have seen the look of disbelief on my face and I was not prepared to give her an appropriate answer, as in "oh by the way, one's gender status says nothing about their sexual habits." So she says, well we just need to make sure that we handle your health needs appropriately if you are not being monogamous, as well as your wife's needs.  So.... I simply told her, yes I am monogamous.

The appointment finished, I got my flu shot, and I was done for the day.  Upon leaving and having some reflection time, I think it is appropriate that the very next time I am there, I need to inform her to be a bit more sensitive and informed of transgender issues and that she needs to stop connecting one's gender status to their sex life.  I really should have told her this when she asked me the question, but honestly her question came out of left field and took me quite by surprise.  I have not been so open about my gender status and I am just learning what people's responses could be.  So now I know.  Soon she will know too!!

Love you!

Love yourself!

Educate the public!!

Oh, I totally forgot!!!  I had my latest post published over at Already Pretty.  You should go check it out as I really like the article I wrote!!


photo credit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42186300@N07/3987691850
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=47338529

8 comments:

  1. Nadine people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about a lot of the time and don't even bother doing their homework on this subject. I had to completely educate my doctor who has three trans patients including me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's shocking!! Well to me it is at least! Thank you for doing your part. I will have to be on my toes from now on!

      Delete
  2. The AMA, CMS, ad AMSA are all trying to better educate the providers they work with - thank you for also speaking up! Would be great to hear how your doctor and the nurse responded - hopefully they were respectful and grateful for the opportunity to become better at providing healthcare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica-

      I wish I could say that I responded appropriately right then and there. Alas, I was not prepared for her ignorance and thus I didn't say anything. As well, I didn't know that it would bother me as much as it has afterwards. Thus I will have to have that conversation with her the next time I see her. Which will be in about another month or so when I go back it to get the meds that I actually want to be on.

      After that I will for sure write about how it went, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Can you get another doc? She didn't seem to listen to you?

    Clare B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I could get another doctor. But.... I'm going to give this one a chance. If I was insistent I think she would have done what I wanted. As well, I think she just needs to be educated. I fault myself for that as I was not prepared mentally to educate someone right then. After reflecting on it a bit, I think it is my duty to at least attempt to educate her. If that fails, then she fails and I will seek out a different doctor.

      Thanks Clare!

      Delete
  4. For what it's worth, the tamsulosin is now supposed to have some estrogenic effects. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off topic...thoughts on dressing en femme (to work) on Halloween?

    Clare B

    ReplyDelete