Friday, April 6, 2012

Update on Waxing

Alright it has been quite a bit of time since the last time that I wrote about waxing, in fact it has been about a year.  During that time I have done what I said I was going to, I have experimented with waxing and tried to have an open mind regarding the results.  Within this post I will try and give more details of my personal experience with waxing.

When I first tried waxing I used some of the products that you might find at the supermarket or Target.  These products were not always designed for thick hair that I and most males have.  I did not get very good results from these amateur products.

I eventually went to Sally Beauty Supply and got myself a wax warmer, made by Gigi, and I experimented with different types of wax.  Lately I have been using the Dark Honee wax and have been getting very good results. This waxing system that I am currently using is more along the lines of what professional waxers would use.  The heating system is very consistent and keeps the wax at appropriate temperatures and the wax itself is very good at gripping the thickest of my body hairs without ripping off my skin.

My process has been one of trial and error and I have gotten better at the process over time.  When I first started waxing I was really only able to wax certain parts of my body.  My arms and legs were the easiest, translated as less painful.  But with my legs I was never able to wax my inner thighs.  My inner thighs were way too painful and sensitive.  I also tried waxing my chest, which was extremely painful and would generally bleed when I ripped off those deep thick hairs.  I tried waxing my belly but again it was way too painful.  Eventually over time I got more and more used to the feeling and the procedure of waxing and have been able to wax pretty much my entire body.  Areas that I do not wax would include my Mr. Happy and my arms pits.  So waxed areas would be my arms, chest, belly, my full legs, my butt and my butthole.  Oops was that too much information for some of you?  Well sorry I just want to give an accurate reporting of what I do.

So the results of all of this waxing?  The result is not perfect.  It is not exactly what I first pictured when I thought about waxing.  I thought I would get silky smooth, completely hairless skin, but that is not the results that I am getting.  This has to do with the growth cycle of hair.  Not all of your body hair grows at the same time.  When you wax your hair you will remove the longer hairs, but underneath that are hairs that are just starting to grow.  So I do not see long black hairs when I am done, but I can still feel stubble.  That stubble grows out within a short time.

What this means is that I still have to rely upon shaving to get smoother skin.  But when I am shaving I only have about 25% of the hair to have that I originally had.  So the shaving goes so much quicker and the results of shaving are that much better.

The one thing that I really like about waxing is that at any given time I have much less hair growing.  The hair on my arms grows back the slowest, my legs are the next quickest and my chest grows back the fastest of all.  What I am interested in trying now is to figure out what will happen if I decrease the time period between my waxing.  I think that if I decrease that time period that I may be able to pull out much more of my hairs and get a much smoother result.

The bottom line of this report is that when I first tried waxing, I hated it, but now I like it.  It is not perfect, but it is getting much better.  Practice makes perfect I suppose.

What are your experiences?  You now you could leave a comment and I will try and respond about it.  I do have anonymous comments enabled, so feel free to share your own experiences.

Photo - This photo is of the waxing product that I actually use, and I personally highly recommend it.  I have tried many different brands, be the Gi-Gi waxing system and products work great!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Landed on this post at random - just wanted to say that I too gave up on supermarket wax, but instead of going upmarket I bought an epilator. Not nearly as painful as I expected, and the result was initially very good. However, my chest hairs grew back at all angles, including a lot of properly ingrowing ones which was horrible. It took months to get them growing out and shaveable again. I'm afraid waxing didn't work for me at all.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete