Monday, October 1, 2012

What a Mess of Makeup


This is the pile of makeup once I emptied it from my makeup case.  I don't happen to have a picture of said makeup case, but I will let you know that it is large.  Very large.  I personally hate having all of my stuff jammed into a way too small space.  I don't like like knowing that I have a particular eye liner for instance, and then having to scrounge through all of my items searching desperately for it.  I am one of those types of people that like to have a place for everything and have everything in its place.  For me it comes down to, I hate not knowing that I have something and not being able to find it.  Thus if I keep things in their places I will always be able to find it when I go look for it.

Anyways.  Things had become too out of place within my giant makeup case and I knew it was time to empty it out, reorganize, and replace my things.  I highly recommend that all of you do the same with your makeup also.  This is also a great time to go through and get rid of items that have been kept for far too long.   You will want to keep in mind that makeup has a shelf life.  It will not last forever.  Even if you only use it occasionally, it will still go bad.

Here is a general guideline:
General period after opening is:
Perfumes, perfume, edp – up to 3 years;
Powders (including blush, eyeshadows powdery texture) – 1 to 3 years;
Foundation in a jar or a cream powder – 1 to 3 years;
Liquid tone means (in tubes or jars with dispenser) – 1 year;
Nail polish – 1 year;
Sun cosmetics – 1 year (but no more than one season);
Lipstick, lip gloss – 1 year;
Pencil (Eye, Lip) – about 1 year;
Skin care products (hydrating cosmetics, wrinkle, eye contour) in a sealed packet with the pump – about a year, in a jar – from 6 to 10 months;
Solid eyeliner and eyebrow pencil – from 6 to 8 months;
Bronzing – 6 months;
Mascara – 3-6 months;
Liquid eyeliner – from 3 to 4 months;

In my experience those times listed are good approximations.  I have noticed that the more money I originally paid for my makeup items, the longer it lasts.

While I am in the process of organizing and discarding/replacing my makeup I thought I would take the next few posts and go more in depth about specific makeup methods that I personally use.

I will first mention that I first started buying all of my makeup from Target or Walmart or Rite-Aide or some such place.  This got me started down the path of makeup but never left me feeling satisfied.  I only started feeling good about my makeup once I got over myself and went to a department store and got advise and products from the makeup experts working there.

Yes I have been to a makeup counter, dressed as woman, with no makeup on at all.  I just walked up to the counter and asked if they had time to give me a make over.  The ladies have never turned me down.  Come on, think about it, these are people that work on commission.  Do you think they don't want your money because you are a man in a dress.  Hardly!  People love money!  I know I do.

But if you would rather not go as a woman, then go in as a man.  I have done this as well.  Specifically I went in dressed as a man and got a new foundation.  This is a must do!  The rest of the stuff you can kind of figure your way around.  But a good foundation that matches your personal skin tone takes some expertise to find. So if nothing else gentlemen, go do that.  The lady that helped me, didn't think twice about helping me with it.  It was almost as if she had done it hundreds of times before, and maybe she had.

Okay, gotta run.

Love ya!

8 comments:

  1. Nadine
    All of your points are good and valid. I know that I have makeup that is many times older than the times you note but I am reluctant to toss it out until I have an adequate replacement.
    I do hope one day to be able to get a professional or semi-pro make over. I really like the idea of doing it in a department store.
    Peace
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My department store make over was the best thing I could have done for myself. I have saved so much money on spending it on the items I purchased at those times.

      Also, on tossing makeup, I totally get you, but the one item you really should ditch after 3 months, if not sooner, is mascara. It is the one item that probably gets the germiest and needs to be the cleanest.

      Delete
    2. Oh BTW Pat- You were the 100th comment on my blog! Fitting that it should be you! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Nadine
    It is nice to be #100. I will try to get over my basic cheapness and do a major makeup purge. I do not get out and about all that often to actually use up too many cosmetics so I have makeup that goes back years.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules and I spoke yesterday about how hard it is for either of us to throw away what appears to be perfectly good and usable makeup.

      I mentioned that tends to be even more difficult for me as I only occasionally get to wear my makeup relative to the time I own it. Some of my makeup items are way past their due dates. But certain ones I try to be vigilant about, like mascara.

      Jules mentioned to me that she thought it might be a good idea to try and use one use mascara brushes. That would help the mascara stay fresher longer.

      Wet makeup is of bigger concern, and the biggest concern is, do you touch your face with the applicator and then put it back into the makeup. That is a great way to transfer all sorts of nasties.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the advice. I have been making plans for a special costume this year and am seriously considering jumping the hurdle and getting professional advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you do jump that hurdle. It has made me enjoy my makeup experience SO much more! Go for it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for helping out, fantastic info.

    ReplyDelete