Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tips For Waxing


The first time I waxed my body hair I had high hopes.  Hopes for a completely hair free body.  But that has always been my hope, with whatever hair removal tactic I have tried.  And so far I have tried, shaving, depilatory lotions, waxing, and an epilator.

Nothing has done a perfect job, and nothing has been easy or quick to do.  But surprisingly, to me, I have stuck with waxing much longer than I originally thought I would have.  Over the years I have learned a thing or two about it.  I am by no means an expert, but I have a few things to share.

1 - Waxing will not remove every single hair leaving you super smooth and silky.  This is due to a couple of reasons.  One, not all of your hair will be long enough for the wax to grab, hair does grow at different times and thus is different lengths.  Two, many of the hairs will break and not be fully plucked from the follicle.  Three, some hairs are more resilient than others and will resist plucking.

2 - Do it yourself.  While I have never gone to a professional, I can not stomach the thought of paying the fees associated with going to someone.  Also I am concerned with the hygiene of such locations.  Jules went and had a certain area waxed and the results were less than to be desired.  I performed a much better job for her the next time she was willing to give it a go.



3 - Use a professional or semi professional waxing pot.  I use the Gigi waxing pot as well as Dark Honey Wax.  The Dark Honee Wax has worked best for me and does not irritate my skin as some other types have.  I have also tried microwave heated wax, which does not work well at all.  I have also tried prewaxed strips and they do not work well at all either.

4 - Do not give up.  The first time I did it, my chest hair follicles bled.  Oh and it hurt so bad, I should have taken some prescription pain meds first.  The second time, it bled less.  Now, about 20-30 times later, it does not bleed at all, and actually does not hurt that much either.  My results have gotten much better each time I do it.  Think about shaving.  The first time you did it, were you perfect at it?  Probably not.  Nor will it be with waxing.

5 - Do not wax right out of the shower.  Do it towards the end of the day, or the day after you shower.  Your skin should be lightly oily to help the wax not to stick to it.

6 - Do not wax if you need to dress that day, or the next, or even the next.  I tend to give my skin about 4-5 days to recover.  After you wax most likely your skin will have quite a few red spots covering every inch of it.  These spots will lesson within a few days.

So why do I do it?  Mainly because it helps me to be able to keep up with my shaving.  It greatly reduces the amount of hairs that are actively growing at any particular time.  This allows me to shave much more quickly and my skin is much less irritated by the shaving that I need to do.  Also, in spots, the hair appears to no longer be growing back much at all.

It is worth it.  It is painful, but it is worth it.

Good luck.  Oh and yeah, just like shaving, I did mess it up many a time and hurt myself pretty badly.  Sometimes unfortunately I bruised myself and left marks that took a couple of weeks to disappear.  But you can't get better if you don't try.  So give it a whirl, who knows, you just might like it!

Love Ya & Good Luck!

9 comments:

  1. Most places are ok, still haven't worked out how to wax my back myself! The professional I use for that is great though :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, back hair! That would be pretty darn tough to do by yourself. I totally neglected to mention anything about that as I don't have that concern personally. But you do bring up a good point, in that Jules does help me out with spots that are too difficult for me to reach by myself. As in the backs of my legs and my butt. She stresses out about helping with it, as she is worried she will mess it up but she always does a great job!

      Delete
    2. I don't have loads - but enough to need a 4-6 week removal. So basically I need to find someone who is willing to do it for me! Right. The hunt stops here! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Nadine,
    Waxing was way too messy but I did try an epilator and it worked like a charm. As you describe, spots for a few days, then fine. Until the hairs began to grow back.... it was 6 months of ingrowing hair hell. Never again!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny. Yeah ingrowns can be a real pain. I have found that the longer I have worked on hair removal the less the ingrowns have become. The first time was certainly the worst. Since then, with some diligent skin care routines, things have improved considerably.

      Delete
  3. Some great tips Nadine. I've been thinking that if I want to get more serious about my feminine side, I'll have to get more serious about my hair. I'll have to look into the home waxing, as I don't see myself going to a professional and paying all that money. Giving the waxing a try on my upper chest might be a good start to see how my skin reacts. We'll see how it goes... Have a great labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you try... Be sure to give it time to learn the process, you will definetly get better results the more times that you do it, shaving or waxing. Oh and I have very sensitive skin and the first few times waxing or shaving my skin reacted very poorly. I was afraid to keep trying, but I love the results and so I kept at it. It has slowly but surely gotten easier and easier.

      Good luck and I hope you too have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
    2. I just ordered all the things I need from Amazon. I'll start of with waxing a few small places that I usually shave when I get dressed. I'll give it some time, and if I like the outcome, my wife said she'll be happy to help wax the hard to reach places. Thanks again Nadine!

      Delete
    3. Ohhh I am excited for you. Be brave and good luck!

      Delete