Monday, May 4, 2015

New Hair!


For the past two years, I have had the same hair style.  Awhile back  I went on a wig search and I ended up with the Zara from John Renau.  I fell in love with that wig; which I do still love.  But while recently searching through various large cap wigs, I discovered a wig that Jon Renau also makes.  It is called the Amber - large cap.  It appealed to me and after a little bit of thought, I decided to go for it.


Of course I ordered it from my friends at Wilshire Wigs.  They were having a 25% off sale, which was awesome!  Plus, whenever I have ordered something from them and it didn't quite work, they happily exchanged it for something else.  The other thing I really like about them is they are close to me.  Thus I ordered the wig on Thursday, it was shipped on Friday, and got to my door on Saturday!  Wow! What service.  (And for full disclosure, yes I have received a wig at a deep discount from them in the past, but I was using them before that, and have continued to use them since.)


I was so excited to receive my new wig, that I did something I do NOT recommend; I tried it on while still dressed as a guy.  Generally this does not work out very well.  I have read of others experiencing this exact same thing.  So my first impression of the wig was that it looked okay.  Not great, not horrible, but just okay.

Later that day, after finishing my work, showering and shaving, and getting something pretty on, I again tried on my new wig.  Wow!  What a difference the whole look makes.  But still.... there was something about it that made me a bit hesitant to fully embrace it.


And I think that what it is, is that change is tough.  For two years I have had the same hair.  The same length, the same color, the same style.  Thus it can be more than a bit challenging to accept a different look.  I have seen this same thing with Jules.  We had a funny conversation actually about this.  I asked her how many hair styles would she change back to what she had before if she could.  She has changed her color, length, and style many times, including shaving it all off once!  The thing about a wig is that if you don't like it, you can just send it back for a different one.  With real hair, it does not work so easily!


Thus, I think that what I want to do is to embrace the possibilities of wigs.  Why should I just stick with one style?  I should enjoy what I can do with wigs and get a few different ones.  I have been contemplating the possibility of getting a human hair wig, at a cost of about $1000.  This new wig of mine ran me about $250.  For the same price of a human hair wig, I could get four different wigs like this new one.  That would afford me several different styling options!

And that could be super fun!  I could go for curly hair one day and straight the next.  Maybe even have one in a darker color.  How about black?  Think I could pull off black hair?  I did once upon a time.  It is a very different look for me.  But why not try?


I think I should dive into the benefits of wearing wigs and look at all that it offers me.  Often I lament that I am unable to grow out my own, which leaves me a bit bummed.  But I think I have been looking at it all wrong.  I need to embrace the options that wigs afford.

What about you?  Do you own just one wig?  Do you mix up your wig wearing?  Or are you gifted with your own natural hair?



17 comments:

  1. Over the years I have bought about 8 wigs. I am not well organized and sometimes get them confused but generally when I dress I will grab one and if it does not go with the dress and makeup I will just gran another

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab and go! Good for you Pat. I am seriously thinking of having several choices to be able to mix things up!

      Delete
  2. Your new wig looks pretty good. The only thing that I wonder about are the curls that stick up and out on your right. I think the curls on the left side look better. (maybe that's just me though; I get weird curls that stick up if I don't keep hair either very short or long enough to tie back)

    I used to have my own hair (and wore it long). But these days what's left is kept quite short. So I have a few different wigs, slightly different colors and styles. Some I like better than others. It's nice to have choices. The main loss I feel about my own hair is that, while it was more work to maintain (and took much longer to dry), it was also easier to deal with in the constant hot weather and didn't never felt hot like a wig often does for me.
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D. I totally agree with you. What is up with those fly away bangs that are zooming off of my head? Crazy hair! I was talking to Jules about that, as we did not notice it until looking at the pictures. In real life that is totally not visible at all. Anyway, we kind of think that maybe some more styling with this wig will help that problem. If you see in some of the other pictures, that I took as the night went on, the problem decreased.

      I SO miss my long blond hair that I used to rock! (Which was my own natural hair before it began to boycott this party!)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have a couple of wigs, but only budget ones. My newest one is straight, which is strange for me, as even when I had my own hair long many moons ago it was very wavy. Ah those were the days. I don't think I could get away with anything lighter in colour as my natural hair colouring is pretty much jet black, albeit with some silver highlights now. I guess I could go lighter if I blocked my brows. Anyhow I will add to my hair collection as changing styles is a lot of fun. I do think you have chosen well with your new look, and like anything you will grow used to it after a short while I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny -

      U have gone through so many wigs! The vast majority of them being budget ones. Which were fine until I started wanting to wear them all day long. That is when I realized that I need to have a large size wig cap. Once I began buying large size wig caps I had to upgrade to a higher priced wig. Such is life huh?

      Thanks for the complements. I too think I will grow more used to the new wig and I think I will realize how to style it better as time goes on.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. hi Nadine, looks great hon! It is nice to mix it up a bit, and personally I like some wave in the style. Perhaps that's because that was the nature of my own hair - now departed :( . My own favourite is a longish wavy dark wig, although I do have a small collection of wigs that i wouldn't wear except to a costume party. This wig is actually human hair, probably made in some sweatshop in Asia, as it was similarly priced to a synthetic wig. I have been contemplating a couple of good quality synthetic wigs though, as they are less work to look after. One straight and one wavy, in a similar length!

    The thing with hair is that is moves around! Long hair especially, in the way way it sits behind, on or in front of your shoulders. Which is probably why the flicks at the side aren't visible to you in real life. The effect is quite lovely in the 3rd and 4th photos.

    Keep experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nadine, it looks great hon! It is nice to mix it up a bit, and personally I like some wave in the style. My own favourite wig is the longish dark and wavy wig in my avatar, although I do have others which I would only now wear to a costume party. I bought this wig online (ie not from a reputable maker like Jon Renau), but it was similarly priced to a good quality synthetic, so I have no complaints.
    I have been thinking of getting a pair of good quality wigs of similar colour and length, in synthetic, as they are easier to look after - one straight and one wavy!
    The thing about hair is that it moves! Especially in the way that long hair sits on, in front of, or behind the shoulders. So its not really surprising that the little flicks on the side are not that obvious in real life. The effect is quite lovely in your 3rd and 4th photos.
    Keep experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daria!

      Thanks for commenting. I think this comment got repeated, but the two were slightly different so I decided to publish both.

      Funny you should mention an Asian human hair wig, I too have one of those. I picked it up from some little shop in San Jose, CA. I absolutely love the feel of it, but the look is really not good at all. Plus the cap is way too small for my giant noggin!

      Thanks for the complement on my new hair. I completely agree with the thoughts about the 3rd and 4th photo. So much better!

      Delete
  6. Looks Great Nadine, really pretty.

    Jrex225@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nadine, love the long look! suits you, really does. Matches your style and looks natural.
    Abi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your new hair. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am becoming more comfortable with it as I wear it more. I am kind of at the point where I like it more than my previous look.

      Delete
  9. Looks wonderful on you! What color is this if you don't mind me asking? I have had Zara in 12fs8 for the last year but I'm considering purchasing this and seeing how great the lighter blonde is on you is making me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather-

      I have really enjoyed my Zara, but this one, Amber, is fabu! I really like the waves in the Amber one. It is in color 24b22. It is so difficult finding just the right color blond to go well with your skin tone; good luck!

      Delete